CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

"If my particular passion ever kills me, it won't be because I was on my horse's back... It will be because I was gaping out of my car window at some horse standing innocently in a field when I was supposed to be paying attention to the road."

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Talent VS Skill

In Parelli, Pat is always talking about TSTL - Talent, Skill, Try, Luck. Today I was pondering the difference between Talent and Skill, and what it means to me. 

While riding Indy today, I was noticing what changes I have made, and what new awarenesses I have have ... become aware of. The biggest thing that comes to mind is my crazy left leg. If any one out there has ever had a club foot and then tried to ride, you can understand how crazy and unhelpful this whole thing is. Having tendons cut in my leg/foot as a baby to straighten out the foot has constantly caused me trouble and now that i am trying to ride with a little more precision VS a freestyle seat, its coming into a whole new light just how limited it really is right now. See that? Thats me being positive. Right now. It will get better. It HAS gotten better since I started picking on it. So there broken self. I will fix you.

My latest dilemma has come from trying to keep my weight even in the stirrups - my body likes to try and balance heavily to the right because that leg is used to supporting me, which results in my left leg/foot floating and then rolling onto the outside and pushing against the very ouchy metal stirrup bar. SO! What to do.. I have been standing in my stirrups TONS. Really playing with centering my weight and then when I go back to a rising trot, keeping that weight even, and going back to standing if I lose it. I am also hyper-concious about keeping my left foot stretched into the stirrup and in the MIDDLE of the stirrup pad [to avoid that ouchy roll outside thing]

That had been going very well, so today I decided to add the next part involving pushing my knee down to elongate my leg, anchor myself into the saddle and stretch my heel down/toes up. WELL! Everything on my left side failed to respond epically. How interesting. The right side went great, it looked pretty, it felt solid, and I thought I had the right idea until I turned to check out the bad half of my body, only to find it really hadnt moved at all.... hummm...

Sitting in the saddle this looked pretty funny. One side all stretched out and the other all contracted, but I kid you not, when I tried to push down on my knee, whatever tendons or ligaments translate that down your calf to stretch your heel just either have been cut [literally, not kidding here] or are so atrophied they dont remember how to work. Well.... I kept at it. I got a tiny little fraction of a move, and sort of figured out how to push the knee without needing to redo everything else. Sort of.

The moral of the story is that before, I was so super frustrated about my foot rolling in the stirrup etc, and then I found a way to become hyper aware of it and its a work in progress now... so... I should hypothetically be able to do the same thing with my knee, right? Thats the plan.

Which brings me to the whole point of this post. Talent VS Skill.

I whole-heartedly believe I am one of those people who builds skill. I work* at my horsemanship, and when I dont, it kind of slips away to a lesser level. When I work at it, it gets better, I get stronger and things go much nicer. I am not one of those people who was born knowing how to ride, I just HAVE been riding since I was born. The skill is not innate, its just learned from a young age.

There is nothing wrong with having and building a skill to a high level. It may take longer than your average talented person, but that doesnt make it un-do-able. Just a little more challenging.

* I just want to clarify work vs play here, because with Parelli, we are supposed to play with our horses. And I do. What I am talking about here is working on ME and my skill set and within my limitations...or outside them as I so often do.

So, if you are one of those talented people, thats awesome! Take advantage and go as far as you can! If you are like me, building a skill set and refining it each and every day, trying to feel that intangible *thing* those talented people feel, keep at it, keep trying, keep doing anything and everything to get better and learn more!

:D
S

0 comments: